View Single Post

Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 AM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

dcb: No, sorry I don't have any records back that far. I did look in a Hodgon No. 26 loading manual. I don't know if you are talking about jacketed bullets or lead bullets. There is a significant difference in pressures developed to get these two types of bullets moving down the barrel with the jacketed bullet developing the most. As I recall, because of that I didn't have to crimp the jacketed bullets when using IMR4227 as much as I did the lead bullets. The crimping was to achieve the best ignition possible. IMR4227 is a stick powder and the burning rate curve will be slower to get to the peak than most of the ball or flake or short stick powders. Hold the bullet back a little with a crimp and the powder burns more completely and to its max achievable pressure while the bullet is still in the barrel.

With 158 gr. JHP, Hodgdon's No. 26 says start with 13.5 grains of IMR4227 and max is 14.5. You can use these same weights of powder for the use of lead bullets of the same weight as the jacketed bullet, but not vice versa.

With 200 gr. lead, Hodgdon's No. 26 says start with 10.5 and end with 12.0.

Those loads are very close to what they recommend for 2400 with 2400 being 1.5 grains less at max across the board.

If you use a modern electronic powder scale your use of IMR4227 will be very acceptable and will develop accurate loads. Stay below max loads by about 10% for the most accuracy. You could also hand trickle the powder loads using a 'trickler', but that is very slow. If you mechanically measure IMR4227 with a common powder measure stay well below max because of the occasional heavy 'throw' of up to 1 whole grain more than intended. I highly recommend any Hodgdon reloading manual and all of their products for that matter. ......... Big Cholla

Last edited by Big Cholla; 01-06-2010 at 01:59 AM.