View Single Post

Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

+1 on what Rock185 and VM said...

I made a decision to collect S&Ws many years ago. I began by purchasing a few NIB guns and continued doing so for many years. I quit a serious effort shortly after S&W eliminated the pinned and recessed features in the early 80s.

Not being very sophisticated collector, I decided to collect only guns as an original owner that I knew without a doubt were unfired after leaving the factory. I would retain all documentation and info related to every purchase. There are several gaps in my collection that I'll probably never fill but that's OK. The fun of the "hunt" has always been the attraction.

I'm also a shooter. When I'd want a model to shoot I'd find a duplicate first. Today my shooters include six S&Ws that range from a 2 1/2" Mod. 66-0 to a 6 1/2" 500.

Through good times and bad, I kept my collection together and today I can truly enjoy the benefits of a lot of sacrifice and long term commitment.

I hope this thread doesn't deteriorate to a common war pitting shooters against collectors. I do both, as many others do, and they both have their place.

JMHO