View Single Post

Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
Good Evening, Friends,

Many thanks, once again, for all the comments and suggestions. Roymack, I did look at the Cannon "Patriot" safe (love that name, by the way!), and thought it looked pretty good. But, at $1,500, it's just too expensive for what our "end of year" budget can afford.

Today, I went back to check out the Liberty Centurion, and the Costco Winchester/Granite Security safes, and also stopped at our local Bass Pro Shop to check out their Red Head safes, which I believe are also made by Granite Security. For the price, and for what we can actually afford right now, The Winchester safe really had it all, when compared to the others. Now, Lowes did knock $200 off the price of their Centurion since I was there a few days ago. But, that price ends after tomorrow, and I just decided to go for more features, and more locking bolts, and thicker (folded steel) door, and went with the Winchester safe, for $500. Now, to get it upstairs in into place..... Aye, there's the rub!! Ahhh, it will work out, I'm sure, and when I get it firmly lagged into the floor, and ready to go, I'll report back here with my thoughts and initial impressions.

Thanks, again, for all the great comments, Friends. Much appreciated! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Greetings, All,

Well, enough snow and ice have gone, that I finally got my new Winchester/Granite Security safe, bought at Costco, up two flights of stairs, and near it's final place of installment! Even though rated at 420 lbs, I think it HAS to weigh more than that! It took three strong men, and three fairly strong boys, to get that safe into it's place! We had a strapping dolly from U-Haul, and even with that, it was a hard task, indeed. My lower back is barking a bit today....

In any case, I promised to offer my initial thoughts and impressions, once the safe was in place. I can say, without hesitation, that I really doubt there is another safe on the market, FOR THAT PRICE, that offers as much "bang for the buck" as does this Winchester safe! I was rather worried about the quality I'd find, once the box and packing had been stripped off, as this safe is made in China, and I'm not a huge fan of most Chinese-made items. But, I was more than pleasantly surprised to find a very quality safe underneath all that packing. And, indeed, the packing, itself, was very well done, and kept my safe in good condition, despite a tear on one side of the box. No nicks, dings, or dents to be found. The slate grey powder-coated finish is very nice, and in my eyes, quite attractive. Once a new Energizer 9V Alkaline battery was in place (as strongly recommended by the manufacturer), and after ten minutes of letting the safe warm up a bit, the electronic combination lock worked like a charm, with no problems, at all! I've already changed the combination, and that went well, too. I really cannot find a single fault with this safe, for the money paid, and feel my $500 was VERY well spent. I was also happy to find a very small hole, drilled in the lower back corner, for the power cord on my Goldenrod heating bar! Some internet reports stated that this safe did not have that option. Well, I can't speak for what others have found, but my Costco/Winchester safe has it. When I called Granite Security to ask about that, the fellow to whom I spoke, named Josh, was very helpful, and told me to use a fireproof caulking around the hole, once the Goldenrod has been installed. I will definitely follow his advice.

So, I can recommend this safe, without qualms or hesitation, to anyone who needs a nice, high-quality RSC, with tons of features and options, in the $500 price range. I do know that better safes can be had, but not without paying FAR more money, and having the space for a much heavier safe!! For the money I had to spend, I am thrilled with my new safe!! So, there you have it, my impressions, as promised. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Last edited by Doc Mark; 01-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.