View Single Post

Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts
Default Realy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt_saa View Post
Not a fair comparison. You can not purchase a car and tuck it under your arm as you leave the showroom. Usually you have to drive it to it's destination. You also have to drive it a bit to move around and do routine maintenance. However, mileage can be kept extremely low.

I do have cars that were purchased with the express intent to preserve them for the enjoyment of future generations.

There is a 1991 Miata Limited Edition British Racing Green with 341 miles on it. (there were also two other BRGs for driving)

There is a 2003 50th Anniversary Corvette with under 500 miles on it.

There is a 1995 40th Anniversary Thunderbird with under 200 miles on it.

There is a 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS SLP. This one I had to play with a bit and it has 5600 miles on it.

There is a 2002 35th Anniversary Trans Am with under 700 miles on it.

There is a 2006 Candy Apple Red limited edition GTO with 47 miles on it.

And the list goes on and on. There would be older low mileage cars but the collection did not get started until the 90s. So there are lots of cars with higher mileage on them as well. Plus many more not on display.

For all of those folks that say a gun was meant to be shot so I shoot it, for those folks that say someone will eventually shoot it anyway, I have to ask.

If you came across an 1883 1/2 dollar would you go buy a big gulp with it just because it was a coin and coins were meant to be spent? Or might you take it home and see if it was worth more than $.50

If you came across a batch of uncanceled stamps from your Grandfathers childhood collection, would you want to use it to mail out your electric bill because stamps were meant to be put on mail? Or might you consult a philatelic publication to see if it was worth more than the $.03 printed on it.

If you found a canvas in your attic with a weird, ugly, disfigured picture on it, would you paint over it because canvas was meant to be painted on? Or would you see if this Picasso guy's work was worth something first.
There are certainly things in this world that would be far more valuable if not used, but the OP asked about "guns", not cars or hypethetical 1/2 dollars, stamps or Picassos.

I can imagine the enjoyment you get by owning your cars, but I bet it is nothing compared to actually driving them is it?

By your logic, an Arabian horse should not be riden. Some times beautiful things become more beautiful when enjoyed to the fullest. It would drive me crazy owning a car with only 700 miles knowing that I was too scared to put any more miles on it for fear of decreasing it's worth.

Does this mean I am going to let my son play catch with my 1953 team signed Cubs ball? No, but I am going to take it out of it's case and let him fondle it from time to time.

It's all relative to the item in question, the OP asked about guns. The reality is that "most" of us enjoy our guns by owning and shooting them. My guns were never bought as investments in terms of retirement or college funds. If they hold their value in the next few decades, anything above that, is just a bonus.

Last edited by rollin_hot; 01-07-2010 at 03:36 PM.