View Single Post

Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi
I'm new to he forum, but did not resist jumping in on this one.

I still own a mod. 69A, the version with a Lyman 57 peep sight, a dovetailed barrel (no sight, dovetail covered by a factory installed block) and a grooved receiver. Curved 5 shot magazine good for S, L and LR ammo.

I bought this rifle around 1964, shot it a lot when I was younger, but haven't shot it for years; most likely will not shoot it again, as our politicians have made sure that most recent laws concerning the use of guns (even airguns) make that almost impossible

I agree with everything witten about the 69A (the trigger backlash, too...). It was a fine, no frills, rugged and adequately accurate rifle. The Lyman sight was in a class by itself.
I was surprised, though, that one point was not raised concerning accuracy - like every rifle in which the barrel/receiver assembly is attached to the stock by a single screw, the 69A accuracy is rather affected by the tightening of that screw, also by changes in atmospheric conditions. Some (well, maybe 40...) years ago Guns an Ammo featured an article about accurizing the mod. 69A by glassing the action and barrel. Unfortunately, I have not kept a copy.
So, to get the best possible groups, one must make tests by varying the tightening of the mounting screw until one finds the best set-up - and after that, not disasemble the rifle again unless absolutely needed, in which case new adjustments will be needed...

Just for your envy, and my despair, I also owned a Colt Match Target, a Colt Scout with dual cylinders, a Colt New Frontier with dual cylinders,and a S&W K22. Sold them over the years. Members of about my age will understand my despair...

Sorry, this is rather long post for a starter