View Single Post

Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,104 Times in 550 Posts
Lightbulb Sorry, not what you want to hear....But,

I've shot 10MM's with some wild ballistics. Friends of mine love to "push" things and see what bullets will do. A Glock WILL NOT TAKE HOT AMMO!!!!! The barrel is under-cut for feeding purposes(I guess). Hot ammo will leave a "smiley-face" pooched out in the brass--if you're lucky. Or, It will blow and split the frame and ruin your day, the gun, and the magazine. I've also had a catastrophic failure in a 1911 chambered in 10MM. I got a face full of shavings and powder. The magazine split in some weird ways, and the grip screws were stretched about three credit-card thicknesses. Thank God I had Aluma-grips on the gun or who knows what would have happened to my hand/hands. This also had a chamber that was not fully-supported. I have a Freedom Arms .454 Casull and that feels small when you are close to a big bear. My point here is that your "wants" for a gun (small, controllable, etc) don't leave very much room for a "capable" handgun, let alone a BEAR GUN!!! I shoot ammo that is "hot"...,180gr loads at 1400FPS---200gr hardcast at 1200FPS---135 Noslers at 1750 FPS(out of a Commander-Bobtail). None of these loads are Glock loads. They are shot in a Dan Wesson(commander-bobtail) 1911 that has had a bit of over-hauling so it will handle these loads regularly. Considering a small bear(250 lbs.) can wreck your day, you really need to impress upon your friends what a 700-800 pound bear can do in a few short seconds. Have them look up Bears or Alaskan Bears on You-tube and spend an hour there watching. Pose the "What gun should I get?" question then. Best of luck to you............,Sprefix