View Single Post

Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 AM

Liked 176 Times in 78 Posts
Wink

Wild West Guns handle Colt and Sig handguns mostly so I don't think Kenny is pushing Glocks for bear defense. He is however, personally acquainted with one or more people who have used the 10mm for bear defense. If anything, Kenny will recommend one of their custom 454s over any lesser caliber.

I do not claim to be an expert but dealt with Alaskan bears for over 30 years. The city animal control department was under the police department and our officers often had to assist the animal control officer with bears.

Ignorant people leave garbage and dog food outside and train the bears to search for food in and around the residential areas of our town. Our educational pamphlet says "a fed bear is a dead bear". Once the bears make the people + house = food connection they become bolder and more aggressive. Transplanting the bears to a different area does not work as they return so they are killed. This unfortunate duty falls to the police department.

Our brown bears are much larger than the interior grizzly due to the summer salmon diet. Our black bears are pretty much normal sized and not as big as the coastal browns.

We killed several bears every summer. We used barrel traps and took them to the landfill and shot them inside the traps. Most of our officers carried 45 autos. I know for a fact that the Federal Hydra-Shok 230 grain hollow point will penetrate the top of even the largest bear's skull every time. 44 magnums and Brenneke slugs worked very well too. Would I venture into bad bear country armed with a 45 auto, HELL NO, but it can kill a bear.

I personally know two people who killed charging interior grizzly bears with handguns. The first was a woman who was was armed with a four inch Model 19 with Remington 158 grain soft points. She shot the bear in the head and chest as it was charging her. The bear veered off to the side of her and began thrashing and biting at the wounds. She reloaded twice, shooting the bear a total of 18 times.

The second involved an acquaintance who thought it would be thrilling to bow hunt a grizzly. He got the ultimate rush when he hit the bear with the arrow and it promptly charged. His best friend (or so he thought) was backing him up with a 12 gauge. When the bear charged the buddy ran. The bear was on Bruce in a few seconds and began biting and clawing him about the arm, head, and back. Bruce carried a Desert Eagle 44 and was able to get it out. When the bear pinned him on the ground he pressed the muzzle into the bears neck and emptied the gun. Miraculously, the gun did not malfunction. Bruce survived and the bear did not.

Google Alaska bear attacks and you will find a few each year where handguns killed aggressive bears.

My advice in a nutshell, no handgun is adequate against an angry bear. Carry the biggest caliber rifle or a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs and be proficient with it. If you are visiting a national park you may be forced to carry a handgun. If your friend is good with a Glock 20 and you load it with the right ammo, it will beat the hell out of teeth and fingernails in a bear fight. The Glock has lots of shots, is lightweight, and nearly corrosion free. I once schooled a visiting cousin in the art of a Remington 12 gauge for her visit. When we caught up with her on the trail a few day later, she did not have the gun. She left it in the car as it was too heavy and she felt weird as most of the other hikers were unarmed. She would have been better off with the most powerful handgun she could shoot well.

My standard summer bear carry is a Marlin 45/70 loaded with 430 grain hard cast at 1900 fps. My handgun is a S&W 329 loaded with 300 grain hard cast. Both feel pretty puny when a big bear is acting like he would like to invade my space. I do not see the point of carrying a five or six pound handgun when I can carry a heavy caliber rifle for about the same weight. I thought the whole point of a handgun is to be easier to pack.

I saw buckshot advocated for bears. Pattern your shotgun and you will see that buckshot is a very short range proposition. You do not have the ability to dispatch a wounded bear that might move away from you. Heavy slugs are much better. I would not want to wait for a charging bear to get within ten or fifteen yards so I could use buckshot.

Now, let's discuss which is better, 9mm or 45 or maybe bias ply tires vs. radial ply tires.

Last edited by akviper; 01-13-2010 at 04:51 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: