View Single Post

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I always hesitate to respond to the "Alaska-bear-handgun" threads, but I've gotta' say that I think akviper's advice is dead-on.

The Glock 20 has been a very popular model in Alaska since it was introduced. Several years ago (at least in the Fairbanks area) you could find plenty of slightly used Model 29/629s or Super Blackhawks; shops couldn't keep the Model 20s in stock. I carried a Model 629 5-inch Classic; next time I go back I'll have a Model 20. If I go crashing through the willows along a streambank during the salmon runs, or get between a sow and her cubs, or surprise a brownie dozing on his moose carcass, I'll pay the price for a lack of situational awareness and probably wish I had a Guide Gun or a pump loaded with Brennekes. At least the Glock will be better than lots of other handguns, and definitely better than nothing. And it's not so heavy or expensive that I won't carry it.

As an anecdote: Over the holidays I visited with a friend that owns the Trading Post in Wiseman, and he related that his friend that owns the service station in Coldfoot found several of his sled dogs killed amidst lots of bear sign. He investigated and was rushed by a grizzly, which he killed with.......a .38 Special. A very old boar, with few teeth and no fat. I think that's what they call a Significant Emotional Event.