View Single Post

Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Ok, not what the OP asked, but I'll answer a different question (no reason for me to use logic.) What he asked is important, and it will allow him to review others trespass at his leisure.

But every bit as important, or maybe more so, is to know when they're prowling and he is at home. Just over 5 years ago, I had a burglary in my detatched garage. The alarm didn't extend out there. So they came inside, stole all my cool stuff, then left. I didn't discover it till about 0600 the next morning.

My answer was 2 fold. First, I did the obvious and extended my home alarm to the garage. The alarm panel allows me to code those zones to chime when they fault. It means each of the keypads squeal when either of the doors open, or the long reach motion detects anyone (or thing). So when I'm sitting here in my recliner, hammering away at the laptop or watching TV, I know if a door opens or anyone is inside the garage ( or my front or back door is opened.) That coveres the obvious.

But at any Lowes or Home Despot you can also get wireless motion lights. They're intended for use on outside applications to turn on flood lights. Because they're wireless, the little battery powered motion detectors can be put almost anywhere. When they detect someone (or a critter) in the coverage zone, they're designed to turn on an outside mounted light. But there is nothing sacred about that part. The brand we have also has a device that looks like a computer surge protector. It has two rows of outlets, one always energized and the other that goes hot when the sensor sees something warm.

We placed it upstairs in the master bedroom. I plugged in a light and a transistor radio (without batteries). When something enters the "zone" it turns on a bedroom light and starts playing music for us. If you aim the sensor downward, it won't pick up things very far from the place its mounted. Better still, you can buy additional sensors and turn the little inside switch to the same channel. It means you can cover the back and sides of your home if you desire.

Then you can review your SD card to see what set it off. In my circumstance, I just arm myself heavily and go investigate. Surefire in one hand, 44 Maggie in the other. My yard, and I don't like uninvited prowlers at night (or any other time.)