View Single Post

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Liked 622 Times in 299 Posts

This is an interesting question as it is part science and very subjective.
As far as accuracy that would depend on the particular gun and the abilities of the shooter. 9mm pistols have two different types of rifling. Guns made by Smith have six lands and grooves. Glocks have polygonal rifling. That is just two of the makers but each type may have its own preference.
Basically a 115 grain bullet should have the most velocity and the most footpounds of energy. The downside is it may not penetrate as well as a heavier bullet.
The 124 grain bullet has enough weight to penetrate and has a good level of speed. For the 124 as with most bullets it comes down to the design of the bullet. Will it penetrate,expand and work well for all possible situations?
The heaviest 147 certainly has enough weight but velocity is slower. While not an ideal bullet for the 9MM I personally enjoy shooting them.

I find the recoil from hot handloaded 115 bullets to be quite snappy even in an all steel pistol. Ammo we buy is not loaded to that level and is quite easy to shoot even in a compact model.

The 124 has a more noticable kick but it is not equal to hotter loaded plus p type of loads.

The 147's I shoot are very easy in recoil as velocity is under 1000fps. More of a push than a snap.

The last PDA ammo I purchased was Federal 135grJHP. I shot these through a Kahr PM9. While it seemed to be a good load it was very easy to control.

That's about all I know for sure.. Most 9MM ammo we shoot is 115FMJ at around 1100fps depending on your barrel length. If I were choosing some PDA for a gun I would get some 125JHP from Federal or another well known ammo vendor.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce51; 01-18-2010 at 12:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: