View Single Post

Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 AM

Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

The 9m/m in the 147 grain load has very little recoil and noise.
It is supposed to be the most accurate loading and I have found
that to be true in my guns. The 147 load has long been a heavy
favorite (no pun intended) with the police crowd due to penetration. I prefer the 147 over all others because it tends to be the best all around performer for every need. When I carry a nine, I use 147 Hydra Shok.
Many claim that the 147 is jam prone, but I have never seen it. Penetration is in the 14" range.

The 115 grain, especially in the "+P+" chamber pressure are also very
popular. They have an excellent track record in law enforcement.
The +P+ 115 have a loud blast and a snappy recoil. They can be very accurate though. Penetration is in the 8-10" range.

The 124 seems to be the best of both worlds according to many.

It really all depends on what you are most comfortable with and what your gun shoots best. If you are using a S&W, Browning HP, or the like
you would probably have the best results from the 115 and 124.
My Browning HP was best with 115. My SIG 226 however, shoots best with 147 and has almost no recoil.

Try them all and see what you like. You will find that 9m/m shooters are generally very polarized between the slow and heavy 147 and the 115+P+ crowd. Both sides have some very valid arguments.

FWIW, the old 115gr Federal "Classic" Hi Shok (the old pre Hydra Shok) or Remington 9 m/m 115gr are great bullets that most older 9m/ms love. If you have a Browning HP or S&W 39 then you really cant beat this old load. It feeds well.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: