View Single Post

Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great info, everyone. I'm getting a bit excited, now.

"I don't think the L and N frame grips interchange. The K and L frame do."

I'll have to try & find an "N" frame to "grip test". Kind of hard to do around here but I'm heading to Denver shortly so maybe I can find something to handle. We do have a 45 colt shooter in our club. Perhaps I can "test drive" his Smith some time.

"I have a couple of 625's chambered in .45 ACP. I mostly shoot them with target loads (200 SWC cast bullets ahead of 4.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent). However, it will also safely handle the Lyman 452424 Keith 250 gr SWC at 900 fps. That is equal to the original .45 Colt ballistics with a MUCH more effective bullet. If I need any more than that I break out my .44 Magnums.

I load my heavy loads in .45 Auto Rim cases just to make certain that they will not find themselves in one of my 1911 platforms (although with the bullets distinctive shape what would not be liable to happen)."

Great info, Dale. I got rid of my Ruger 44 mag. flat top 6 1/2" barrel that I owned for 30 some years a few years back. The single action grip didn't work as well for me anymore and I no longer hunt. Sold my Lyman 250 gr Keith mold, as well. I like the idea of a 250gr bullet in the 45. Good idea on the auto rim.

Thanks pinky and David, as well, for the great posts.

Cloudpeak