Thread: My SW9VE Review
View Single Post

Old 01-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Liked 378 Times in 174 Posts
Thumbs up My SW9VE Review

My SW9VE Review:

Just a little background first: I am an experienced shooter & gun owner of 40 years. I consider myself a revolver person. I have shot revolvers exclusively for the past several years, until today.

My daughter wanted a 9MM polymer gun. We looked at several of the most popular ones, and chose the sigma because of its superb ergonomics. Price was also a consideration because of college expenses. I thought about purchasing this gun before, but was a little leery after reading so many negative reviews. Finally, I came across the best article ever written on the gun, which was posted in the blue forum some time ago. This article put it all in perspective for me, and pushed me over the edge. I decided to give the sigma a try. I paid $319 - $50 for the gun.

This review is based on my opinion on the design and function of this gun, and not a copy of the many opinions that I’ve read both good and bad. I respect the opinions of others, and hopefully will receive the same courtesy.

I familiarized myself with the gun by reading the manual, disassembling, cleaning, lube and reassembling several times. I also practiced dry fire for a couple of weeks at home. I asked a few questions from a knowledgeable friend or two who graciously gave me some good tips on the gun.

First, I’ll cover the ergonomics: In my hand, this is one of the most comfortable guns that I have ever held. The size and weight of the gun seem perfect to me. The magazine release is perfectly located and very easy to use; same with the slide stop. The 3 dot sights are fine; I was accustomed to these back in my auto days. Best of all, the sigma is a natural pointer in my hand. It feels like an extension of my arm. As far as polymer guns go, I think it is a good looking gun, also.

Next, the trigger design: I was fully aware that I was getting a DAO trigger system. I didn’t expect it to feel like a SA trigger at all. I have extensive experience with DA revolvers. I believe this design is not only safe to carry, but ideal for a home defense gun. This is my intended purpose for the gun. I think that an accidental discharge is highly unlikely. I can’t speak to the earlier sigma designs, but the trigger on my 9VE pulls back smoothly all the way. There is no grit. Getting use to the DA pull was easy. I quickly developed a good feel on when it was going to light off.

Off to the outdoor range: It was sunny, cool and extremely windy this morning in San Antone. I chose a 7 yard target to get in my comfort zone with this new gun. Remember, it’s been several years since my last auto. Unfortunately, my daughter wasn’t able to go today; but she’s stocking up on ammo, and will go soon.

I sent over 200 rounds down range; mostly Remington ShurShot 115 GR and a box of Golden Sabres. The felt recoil was mild for a 9mm, again a tribute to the comfortable design of the gun. The Golden Sabres did have more snap than the ShurShots did. The gun was easy to hold on target and POA/POI met or exceeded my expectations. There were no stovepipes or failures to feed. The gun shot very well indeed. It didn’t take long to get comfy at all. I quickly remembered the fun I had in the 90’s shooting 9mm. You can sure throw money quickly with two, 16 round magazines. Loading them was as I expected. The 16th round was tough to get in; it got a little easier as I got use to the loading process.

I did experience one minor quirk: On two occasions, the slide did not stay back after the last shot. Both times, it was with the same magazine. I talked to the range master, who I have a lot of respect for, to get his opinion. We looked things over and saw nothing wrong. He thought it might be a minor magazine break in issue, and thinks it will go away. I’d like to hear from you sigma owners on this subject. Please chime in. I have not taken the magazine down to clean or lube. It is new, remember.

Other than that my experience on this first trip was totally awesome. The gun is easy and fun to shoot. For a gun that’s not supposed to be a “range gun”, I certainly had a great time hitting the target, and can’t wait to go again.

My plan for the trigger: My plan is to take the sigma to the range and pull the trigger as many times as I possibly can, for years to come!

Best wishes to all,
Lee