Thread: .380 vs 9mm
View Single Post

Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a newby here and a proud Sigma 9mm owner. I wanted to pipe in on this one, because I went through the same process. I did a ton of research and decided the 380 just wasn't for me. It may be a competent round in the right hands, but it has so many drawbacks that don't have anything to do with competency. Around here, 380 defensive rounds, provided you can find any, run around $50 a box. Range loads run around $35 and are just as difficult to find. That turned me off about the 380 altogether, since my money is rather special to me.

I researched a CCW pocket pistol for a while and finally decided the Kahr PM9 would fit my needs well and, since I already owned a 9mm, ammo wasn't a negative factor, either. Then, I hit upon an article talking about the KelTek PF9 and discovered it was a competent firearm at about half the price of the Kahr. Took me a while to find one, which also re-enforced the fact that's it's a pretty decent firearm. When I finally did find one for purchase, I couldn't be happier.

I know this is a S&W board and I certainly wouldn't advertise anything else, because I've always enjoyed and respected S&W products, but they don't have any models to compete with this gun. I consider my Sigma to be every bit the product I've come to expect from S&W, but I'm afraid I've fallen in love with my little PF9. Plenty of firepower, IMHO, and fits like a glove in a pocket holster in my Levis. Is it a S&W? Well, no, but it's a well made firearm that does a great job of performing my personal protection needs. If S&W made one, I'm sure I'd own it, but until they do, I'm extremely pleased with the alternative I found.

The gun will fit anywhere and weighs around 18oz loaded with 7 rounds. As I said, it fits my jeans with no print whatsoever and would fit a ladies purse nicely. Before buying another mouse gun, you really should take a look at this one. Research it a bit, because, like the Sigma, it has a little bit of a negative history, but, like the Sigma, most of the bugs have been worked out. Mine has been about as fail safe as my Sigma and that's saying a lot. Both guns have performed flawlessly for me. Sure hope I didn't ruffle any feathers posting this. If S&W had a viable alternative, I'm sure I would be touting it instead.