View Single Post

Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Exclamation Great time was had to be sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls View Post
Thanks Smith Crazy. Looking forward to hearing how your hunt went.
wls,
I wanted to wait until I got our hunts out of the way to tell you where we were going.

The name of the place is "No Mercy Hunting Services" ( We offer fully guided trophy hunts for Boar, Whitetail and Exotic deer, turkey and more hunting species )and they are located in Gracemont, Oklahoma.

I have to say this first and foremost, the guide, Les, was superb. This guy has hunted everything on the North American continent and really knows his stuff. I called him the "Hog Ninja" he was so good in the woods!

The reason I chose this No Mercy was because I thought that it would be one of those "easy" places to take an animal. You know, sit in the blind/stand, shoot the trained animals as they came in, kind of place. Well, nothing could be further from the truth when it came time to hunt the hogs! I mean, I got absolutely worn out walking/stalking but had one of the best times of my life! In fact, if someone would like to start a collection to send me back, I'd be glad to go!

They have a guaranteed shot policy. That is not the same as a guaranteed kill policy. It simply means that they guarantee an animal to present a shot to you, it is up to you to do the rest! The rams were no problem although, they weren't push overs either. We were coming out of a stand getting ready to hog hunt and ran into a group of rams feeding. I wanted to give the wife "first shot" on one, so I backed off. She was a little jittery and unsure. The shot was 100 yards and unfortunately, she missed. It didn't dampen her spirit, which I was glad for and we ended up taking her ram later that afternoon only with my 44Mag. I can tell you this, a 44Mag is plenty for a ram of this size (100 lbs or so).
Here are some pictures:

(Entrance hole)

(The off side is pretty graphic and I don't want to gross anyone out. I need to say this, the bullet came out and it must have expanded to about .800" or so. Never found the bullet from any of the animals on this hunt.)
While the shot is just a tad high for a perfect shot, I thought it was pretty good. Their spine is just a tad lower when comparing them to a Whitetail. This shot hit the spine and it dropped like a sack of potatoes!
Pretty cool!
The next morning while sitting in the stand, the rams came in just after daybreak and I took mine. That shot too was just a bit high but with the angle of the shot that provided itself, I think it was the only one available to me. They came in as a group and made their way around the feeders pretty bunched together. I didn't want to get 2 for the price of 2 ( ) so I held off on shooting. Then, this one ram started walking away. Almost straight away and all I could think of was, "there goes your chance for today." Then it stopped and I took aim. The bullet took the animal in about the same spot going in as my wife only the exit wound was much different. Because it was going away I should have shot well behind the "boiler room" to guarantee a kill. My shot hit the lungs and liver, nicking the spine and exiting under the "beard" of this animal. It too took no more steps after being shot. Oh, I kicked just a tad but it was pretty much a done deal.
The horns on my ram are a bit tighter than the wife's, then again, you don't eat them!
Here is a picture of mine:

Another:

I'll post more later. I have to get busy and clean rifles and such.

The hog stories are better!