View Single Post

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinko View Post
I have never owned a 9mm Glock and I've always wondered if it is the weak link with its chamber dimensions. I can run my 9mm handloads pretty hot in the 940 with its offset cylinder stop notches but I'd be reluctant to let anybody try this stuff in a Glock. On the other hand, if you can do 175 PF in a stock Glock, my fears just might be unfounded.

An interesting thread has been resurrected in the Handloading section regarding duplication of the Buffalo Bore 158 gr. SWCHP in .38 Special. This bullet has a reputation for being a very good stopper (though the lead is very soft) and I have already exceeded the 1050 FPS velocity with 147 gr. bullets in the 9mm.

Dave Sinko
Dave, I don't know if the fears are unfounded. Even before I read your last post, I had planned on adding to my "Don't...!" warning. I didn't blow up my Glock 17, but I didn't shoot over 50 rounds of that load through it. It was intense, and I suspect that pressures were way over +P+ levels. I backed off the attempt because it was evident that I was skating too close to the edge and the gun was taking a serious pounding. Some years later, when I briefly ran a Glock 22 as my Limited Class gun, I noticed that the recoil from 180gr. bullets at 1000fps. or so was not nearly as heavy as it had been with the Major 9 loads. There were some Glock 17s blown up by others running Major 9, using both AA#7 and Viht 3N37, which is why USPSA banned it for a long time. Your 940 can handle more pressure safely, I'd wager. Hell, Dane Burns has converted some 940s to 9x23, and factory 9x23s hit pressures in the range of 42KPsi. Dane told me that as far as he knows, the guns have held up well.

As for the Buffalo Bore 158s being super-soft, yes and no. It depends on the lot. I have some of their +P 158gr. LSWCHPs that are extremely hard and will not expand at all. I don't know how one tells the difference without trying a bullet nose with a thumbnail.