View Single Post

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,113 Times in 4,790 Posts

When you begin your handloading for the 52-2, you might want to obtain 3-4 boxes of quality .38 wadcutter factory loads (probably Remington) and keep these for comparative testing as you proceed. You will probably never equal them. Reloading for the 52 can get a little confusing, especially if you are not always testing from a machine rest. It helps to have something to compare with that is constant. Watching your brass carefully helps, too. Try to use brass that has only been fired a time or two for your testing, and be sure to check the length.

I always had better luck with swaged bullets than with cast bullets, though some cast loads did shoot very well. I shot more hollow-base Hornadys than anything else. Got the usual "tipping" with everything I tried.

In those days I used 452AA powder, but many powders were being used then, and some shooters actually preferred slower powders, like Unique in the 52.

My ammunition always shot better than I did, but not as good as factory loads from any of the three major manufacturers.