Thread: Sigma FAQ
View Single Post

Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Sigma FAQ

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, this is an attempt to answer and inform everyone of the different questions being asked about the S&W Sigma. I will try to give as much info as possible and cover as much ground as I can.

First off, a little bit of background info.
The Sigma series pistols were created in 1994 and are S&W's successful attempt at producing polymer framed pistols. These pistols are DAO and only available as such. They came chambered in 40S&W, 9MM, and a sub-compact .380 version. There also was a limited number produced that were chambered in .357 SIG. The Sigma series pistols were so similar to the Glock pistols that Glock sued S&W for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997 with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock. In 1999 S&W improved the Sigma by shortening the barrel and slide by .5 inches, made the grip more comfortable and ergonomic, slightly enlarged the ejection port, and added an accessory rail which requires an adapter to mount anything.

Ok on to some questions I have been seeing asked a lot.

#1 Trigger job - This is extremely easy to do, All it requires is a few tools (Hole punch, paper clip) and can be done in a
matter of minutes unless you want to polish the internals. I'd recommend polishing if you have a gritty trigger. Here is a
video that covers the whole process. Link. The video was made by a fellow member here so if he chimes in be sure to thank him for a well explained and informed trigger job.

#2 +P+ ammo - There are mixed reviews on weather or not this "Hot" ammo should be used. I believe it is stated in the owners manual that firing this type of ammo will cause excessive wear and is not recommended by S&W.

#3 Dry firing - Feel Free to dry fire the heck out of it. Obviously if it "Requires" you to dry fire it to field strip it then its not going to hurt anything. I don't recommend this for any other gun though, and if you're really worried about dry firing the sigma then just buy some snap caps. I also hear that dry firing can possibly smooth out the trigger, but i'll let you be the judge of that.

#3 Accessories - There is lots of stuff you can buy for this gun, just look around. Google, Amazon, eBay, etc. If you're
looking for a well made laser then I recommend "The Machinists Crib" on eBay.

#4 Purchase advice - Q: Should I buy a sigma? A: YES!!! If you can handle a D/A trigger (which can be smoothed out and lightened) then this, in my opinion, is one of the best handguns you can buy for the money.

#5 The Plastic piece in the handle - This is actually a secret button that, when pressed, turns your gun into a bullet proof
sports car armed with machine gun turrets.....Just kidding, Its actually just a "space taker upper" so your mag fits in the
handle snugly.

#6 What's the difference in the Allied Forces version? - The slide is black. That's it. Oh, and the price tag. Here is a Link to a video of someone duracoating their non-AF version. Seems like it would work well enough.

#7 What does VE stand for? Someone correct me if im wrong on this but I think it stands for Value Enhanced. Also the F model was the first gen and had the slightly longer barrel and slide.

#8 Are there different sights? Yes, MMC and PTnight sights have some for the sigma. Just do a search on google and something should come up. UPDATE: I was just sent this link from a fellow forum member on here and will leave it up to you to make your own decision on weather or not you still want to do business with them. I won't be.

If there are any other questions please feel free to ask, and if there is anything I missed let me know and I will add it in.

Last edited by Joker84; 02-27-2010 at 11:29 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: