View Single Post

Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts

I'll stir in this hornet's nest for a bit. Did this question arise because someone was really curious, or was it a Glock owner trying to discretely state that their Glock is better than a S&W Sigma? Couldn't the average gun buff have sat down, thought about it for 10 minutes, and come up with the answers themselves? Maybe, uhhh, price point, ergonomics, and say..... maybe..... because they like Smith&Wesson products. Why not compare apples to apples and put the Glock up against the M&P as others have suggested? I owned a G17 around '94 or '95 and traded it on a S&W 4003. The Glock did not have the proper grip angle for my hand/shooting style. I now have an M&P 40, and I think it's great, but I don't go looking to pick fights with Glock owners because I think they own a lesser product. As far as this whole "copy" thing goes, Glock invented a plastic framed handgun with steel inserts. Congratulations! Now, if we could only turn that scary genius towards curing AIDS or stopping world hunger, the earth would be a much better place. I can only speculate that S&W could have probably made something along those lines before 1983 (or whenever Glock started production). Colt had the technology to make plastic rifles way before that. My guess is that S&W didn't think Americans would fall for such a thing. That was their only mistake. I don't see the M&P as a copy of a Glock. I see it as S&W beating Glock at it's own game. Glock owners, you have a great service pistol. That's awesome. But don't rattle the chains of the guys and gals on this forum. You don't see me going on the Glock forum and saying "Why buy a S&W revolver when you can buy a.........oh wait." Or, "why buy a S&W 22lr pistol when you can buy a..........opps!". How about a 1911 style handgun, an AR platform rifle, an AR style 22lr? Hello, anyone? Where was Glock in 1954 when S&W released the M39, in late '70/'71 when the M59 hit the civilian market? Oh, that's right, I guess those first gen Smith's are just a double action copy of the '35 Browning Hi-Power. Apples to apples. And if you are truly interested, I can provide an honest assessment of why I like the M&P better than the Glock (for essentially the same money). But leave the Sigma out of it. It's like sending your big brother to beat up one of your classmates.