View Single Post

Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

I have just purchased 4 Mod 32-1 and 4 Mod 33/33-1. The latter is a 4" bbl version, otherwise the same as the 2" Mod 32/32-1.

Winchester, Remington, MagTech and Fiocchi all make this ammo, although it's hard to find, as others have noted.

I'm reloading & casting my own bullets. Don't claim to have it all figured out, but initial indications are it's do-able w/o major problems. Midway sells MagTech bullets as a component, although they're out at the moment. Due to CAS, there's something of a market for this caliber still, although the factory loads are sedate ones intended to be safe in the old break-tops used in CAS, as well as old H&R's doubtless lingering in many dresser drawers & nightstands.

I'm looking at Lyman 46th (49th inbound to me), Speer 13, and Lee 2nd, and each shows loads far more potent than the factory .38S&W loads. I don't intend to hot-rod anything, but will shoot light loads for practice & load 'em to just below .38 SPL power levels for SD/HD by my wife & daughters. (My personal pair is for fun--my HD sidearm is .45LC, although a 32-1 with a 200g bullet will be my car gun.)

I standardized these pairs of revolvers to eliminate any uncertainty among my gals over cylinder latches, ammo, SA v. DA, how many rounds it holds, etc. Also, grip size, steel frame yet lightweight, low recoil but loadable w/decent meplat & bullet weight, mild report, 2" for car & 4" for HD. . .it all fits my ladies' needs as well as the .38S&W long did for many Americans in the old break-top version & cheaper H&R models for many years, but in a far better-quality gun.

I bought the 32-1's for high $300's to over 500, depending on condition. The latter were doubtless no bargain, but I wanted to move quickly even though it's a bit costlier. These guns are like a lot of similar S&W .32s--the people who bought these calibers often did so specifically BECAUSE they weren't as powerful as other choices, and these types of folks generally put it in a drawer & shoot it once in a blue moon. Therefore, condition can be very nice to mint.