View Single Post

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie View Post
Super Vel, another urban legend. The stories get better as time goes on.

FWIW, it actually dates to the mid-'60s and caused the "big three" to come up with their own light, jacketed HV rounds.

Good shooting.
How do you get the "urban legend" status for this? An urban legend, by definition, is something that supposedly happened, but no one really knows where the story originated. A first hand account, particularly one that is documented with facts and figures, is considered to be just about the best source when trying to discern "what really happened." A "primary source" is what we call it. I personally shot some of Lee Juras' Super-vel loads in a j-frame in the early 70s. I experienced sticky extraction, flattened primers, and a tied-up revolver due to a bullet jumping crimp under recoil and locking up the cylinder. This was in a steel-frame gun. The revolver suffered no ill effects from the half-box or so of these rounds. I still carry it three or four times a week.

How about this one: (I hope bmcgilvray will forgive me for quoting a post of his from another forum, but I believe he is about as credible a source as could be used.)
Super Vel ammo ??? - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum
I once chronographed some Super Vel in a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10. It achieved 1237 fps and 376 ft./lbs of energy at the muzzle. According to my notes it was July of 1980 when I took the measurments. That was the locally famous "summer of 1980" in Texas which likely still holds the record here for most days over 100F so the ammo may have been "hot" in more ways than one.

This isn't "urban legend" stuff. These accounts, especially bmcgilvray's, are first-hand, from people who have been shooting a long, long time. Do you think anyone is loading a commercial "+p" load to those velocities and pressures today?