View Single Post

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,719 Times in 724 Posts

A personal vignette of the only living thing I ever shot with Super Vel:

Back in the early '70's about the only thin and relatively light carry handgun was the Walther in various configurations. I had both a West German PPK/S .380 and a .22. It was my custom to carry the .380 with Super Vel since it was the hottest thing around. (In the blow-back PPK it was distinctly uncomfortable to shoot extensively.)

One afternoon on a pleasant woods walk I was attacked by an armadillo.I repelled the attack with a round of Super Vel .380 at about 5 yards. The beast jumped about two feet straight up in the air and hit the ground with all four wheels spinning. He ran a good 50 yards before succumbing to his injuries. When I retrieved him he had been drilled perfectly amidship...small entrance wound, about a quarter size exit wound.

From that point on I have never had a great deal of confidence in the stopping ability of the .380 round. My logic was that if the hottest round then available wouldn't appropriately expand on the hard shell of an armadillo that certainly wasn't on an adrenalin high, I wasn't quite ready to trust it on the soft skin of a crack head.

First impressions are hard to overcome.

Bob