View Single Post

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default bore size counts

You really need to slug your bore and measure it. Just use a soft lead fishing sinker and tap it through with a cleaning rod. I was surprised to find my AK barrel measure .315 a bit rough but with strong rifleing. Now a .308 bullet is going to be .007 under size and that's almost enough to paper patch! As many AKs were set up for auto use, the bore was loose to extend barrel life. Don't expect better than dinner plate size accuracy at 100 yards but you can easily hit dinner plates at 50 yards.

I have been thinking about swagging AK bullets at .316 then drawing them down to .315, .314, .313 to .310. One may have to turn the case necks to properly fit the chamber but you would at least have an accuracy round when needed. The bullets made for .303 British, Jap Ariskas, and J bore Mausers are all too heavy for the AK and it's smaller case. The 32 Winchester bullets could be drawn down but they are the not a good shape for the AK. Anyway, a bullet close to bore size would help an AKs accuracy potential.