View Single Post

Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried Tom's fix on my Model 40 grip safety, and let me tell you, it's a different gun now.

The spring hiding under the grip safety is a stout one, no doubt due to lawyering. Removing two coils wasn't quite enough, but removing the third coil seemed to do the trick.

With the shortened spring, I now find that a normal, firm grip of the hand overcomes the awkward geometry on the frame and deactivates the safety. And the grip safety is still plenty firm to do its intended job. I'm not a wimpy guy -- 220 pounds, wear an extra-large glove, am the guy people turn to to take off a stubborn lid -- but I was having trouble with the factory springing.

The job went smoothly. Make sure you have a small enough pin punch, as it's a very small pin. And although the pin is not knurled, mine seemed to want to drive out from right to left. (No need to drive the pin completely out of the left side of the frame, just enough to clear the grip safety.) Use a good diagonal cutter. When reinstalling, put your rubber band back on, line the holes up on the right side by inserting the pin punch, and give the pin on the left side a tap to get it started.

I love it when a plan works. What a great resource of knowledge this forum is.

Bud