View Single Post

Old 02-04-2010, 02:32 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,783 Times in 474 Posts

Took the Winchester 9422 to the range today, what a sweet shooting rifle! Smooth action, excellent trigger, sights are a little coarse for fine work, but was able to make some nice groups, less than an inch at 25 yards. Was only able to stay at the range for a little over an hour as it was so cold, after a while my shooting started suffering, so I didn't get a chance to try it at 50 yards.

I did do a little competition with it against my 1955 vintage Marlin "Mountie" carbine, fired both rifles five shots at 25 yards from the prone position. The Winchester won by score, 40 to 37 (out of a possible 50 points), but group size was almost identical, about 1". Followed that up with shooting both rifles against a 6" steel swinging target, shooting offhand (standing). Found it easy to get 100% hits with both rifles. Here's some pics:

This steel was freshly painted before the shooting started:

Marlin "Mountie" and steel:

The Winchester is the smoothest and most accurate, but the Marlin would probably be the one I'd carry in the field or take canoeing. The Winchester is too nice, and the Marlin has already lived a hard life, a few more scratches or bruises would not be noticed...