View Single Post

Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Scrapper; .....and with what did you shoot that 10 pound pork loin with?...............I hated to miss out on that 35 Whelan. I am actually kind of sitting the sidelines on another one, and maybe that deal will work out.....only time will tell.

I was reading on another forum about a fella that grew up with the 35 Whelan. He lived up in the northeast and hunted with all the old timers up there. Evidently the caliber was very popular as a bear and moose gun there, and in eastern Canada. Like G4F mentioned, over time most folks had to have the newest fastest magnums, and the 35 lost popularity. But, this fella who was relating the story said that he stuck with his, and never found fault with it to get the job done...even on those huge northeastern moose. Evidently those old timers taught him right. He also said that the old timers referred to the 35 Whelan as the "poor mans 375 H&H", and that in his opinion and from his experiences with the Whelan, they were not that far off in making that statement.