View Single Post

Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Liked 111 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist1894 View Post
NOW you have my attention! . . .. I assume the
'heritage' series feels like std S&W target stocks?
Anyone have an opinion on Eagle's finger groove grips?
I think the Heritage grips are hand-made. The checkering wasn't perfectly even on my example:

As for how it 'feels' compared with the standard S&W target stocks: these had a slight 'coke-bottle' shape and were nicely rounded near the top to make a smooth transition from frame to grip. The standard S&W target stocks that I've seen are more blocky and have a more cylindrical profile.

Front-to-back, the Heritage grips had a more oval shape than the standard stocks, and they fill in the area behind the trigger guard much more:

For me and my hands, this made the stocks feel too 'cramped' in the front, and seemed to put all of the weight of the gun on my middle finger--not good when my main shooting sport is Bullseye where only one hand can touch the gun. You can see in the 2nd photo where I marked with a pencil the outline of another set of Eagle grips that fit my hands a bit better.

In short, they look very pretty, and the wood they use is beautiful, but they didn't work for me.

The Ahrends grips work a lot better for me, but they look very plain. For me, checkering would not have much functional benefit since I put nearly all of my hand pressure on the front and back of the grips, and not so much on the sides.