View Single Post

Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,397 Times in 1,081 Posts
Default Reloading the .40 S&W

I am about to add the .40 S&W to my reloading inventory. I don't see a lot of posts on this forum on the .40, and at the local range the amount of .40 brass on the ground in relation to all other calibers leads me to one of two conclusions: (a). not many folks reload .40, or (b). .40 is so popular that the reloaders pick up all they want and there is still a ton of it left.

Anyway, I am planning to use 175 gr. cast bullets. I'll probably use either Clays or Universal for powder. For lighter loads Clays will no doubt get the nod. It works great in .45 and I have a ton of it on hand.

I have ordered the Lee deluxe die set with the factory crimp die, and also a Lee six cavity mold for the bullets. As soon as Dillon gets to work this morning, I'll order a caliber conversion for my 550. I looked at my Lyman manual to see if there were any comments out of the ordinary concerning the .40 and didn't se any. Is there anything I need to look out for regarding the .40 that differs from .45 ACP or 9mm?