View Single Post

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Question about Stainless Steel J-Frame .38 Special

My wife has a S&W stainless steel j-frame bodyguard (shrounded hammer) chambered in .38 Special +P, with a barrel that is 1 and 7/8 inches in length. I believe it is about 10 years old (very approximate). The cylinder is identical in length to my 340PD, which is chambered in .357 Mag. Aside from the fact that her pistol is stainless steel and is branded ".38 Special +P", it also differs from my 340PD in that the extractor rod of her pistol is exposed on both sides of the barrel (rather than on one side only) and, obviously, in the shrouding of the hammer (vs. the totally enclosed hammer of the 340PD). Compared with the S&W's current stainless steel bodyguard (Model 649), her pistol differs in that the barrel is shorter and, further, in the two-sided exposure of the extractor rod.

I have a few questions with which I am hoping that the resident S&W experts may be able to help:

1. Is her pistol a Model 649 as indicated at the website below (discovered via google), despite the differences from the current Model 649 in chambering, barrel length, and exposure of the extractor rod?

m49

2. If so, when, and for how long, was this version (her version) of the 649 produced?

3. Given the overall similarity of her pistol to the current Model 649 (the differences are noted in my description above), what structural features of her pistol limit it to .38 Special +P ammunition? In other words, the length of the cylinder appears to accomodate .357 Mag rounds, and the pistol is made from stainless steel, so why (functionally) is it limited to .38 Special +P ammunition? [Note: This question arises purely from curiosity on my part. I have absolutely no intention of suggesting that she try a .357 Mag round in her pistol.]

Any time that you can spare to respond to any (or all) of these questions would be much appreciated.