View Single Post

Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,056 Times in 1,581 Posts
Default Not entirely BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCforLife View Post
My apologies to this forum, but just check out the reply from staff on the 45 topic - typical convoluted BS.
Have you read my replies, to their reply? Merwin Hulbert & Co. Forum: .45 Caliber for Merwin Open-Tops Change
Have you looked at the SAAMI specs? It may be convoluted but it's not entirely BS. A .45 Colt chamber cut to the maximum size of the SAAMI spec may be able to accept a .454 Casull cartridge – my S&W Model 25-13 Mountain Gun will. Frankly it gives me the willies to find that out, but better to know it than not.

The part thats BS is not chambering their open-top model in .45 Colt because of this. A .45 Colt chamber cut to the minimum end of the tolerance range should be safe from unintentionally chambering a .454 Casull round. I havent worked out how much tolerance is available before it becomes a problem that's their job, not mine. However there seem to be plenty of gun companies such as USFA that have figured it out.

And, whether a .45 MH is open-top or with a topstrap should make no difference. If a 60,000psi Casull round gets chambered, either way its gonna kaboom.