Thread: My SW9VE Review
View Single Post

Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Liked 1,432 Times in 663 Posts
Default My 2 cents on the Sigma series

I own a few older guns and had been carrying a 9mm Norinco which has proven to be extremely accurate at the range but suffers from an occasional blocking of the hammer just short of the firirng pin(unacceptable in a defense situation) so I started looking for the ideal carry gun. I've always been a fan of S&W and being limited in funds I started researching the Sigma Series. After reading hundreds of reviews about the only complaint I saw from people who actually owned and shot these guns was that some had an issue with the length and weight of the trigger pull. The thought of this did bother me some because my other autos are SA with very light triggers and even though I do pretty well with my revolver I find myself cocking the hammer back when I want to be sure to hit the bullseye. I decided at that point to keep my mind open to other guns as well. A couple friends let me shoot their Glocks. The triggers on those felt good but still didn't shoot as accurately as my old Norinco. Also I could see scenarios with the light trigger and no external safety. In a comfortable soft shell concealment holster if you're involved in a scuffle with someone grabbing at you it wouldn't be hard for a finger to inadvertantly find it's way into the trigger guard and that would cause a Glock to fire. Or if you set it on the table and the cat stepped on it and his paw went inside the trigger guard you're gonna have a hole hopefully just in the wall and a very scared cat. I wasn't sure what I wanted until yesterday at a gunshow when I saw a brand new SW9VE with two 16 round mags on display. I asked the dealer to cut the tie because I just had to feel this trigger for myself. I racked the slide, took aim at a light switch and squeezed the trigger. After doing this several times I realized I was able to keep the sights on target throughout. I bought it and went right to the range. At first I was pulling slightly off aim but by the end of the first mag I was shooting tight groups in the center of the target so I ran a new target out to 50 feet and obliterated the bullseye. I ran 200 rounds of Independance 115 gr FMJ throught it flawlessly and I'm very happy that I bought this gun. The trigger is long and heavy but very smooth and if you aim and shoot instead of trying to feel for the sear break you should be quite pleased. At least I am. The weight and feel of the gun is unrivaled in my oppinion. The trigger is light enough to manage with just a little practice and just heavy enough to prevent accidental firings. Great job S&W. I'll be carrying this gun for a long time.
The Following User Likes This Post: