View Single Post

Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Liked 630 Times in 357 Posts
Default Magazine orientation in mag carriers question

I've purchased two new holsters and magazine carriers from two different well-known and respected makers in the last year or so. Both makers' order instructions advise specifying right or left strong-side carry, and that they'll make the appropriate weak-side mag holder. The mag carrier that came with the first order holds the magazine only with the cartridges "bullet forward" in the mag pouch. I favor carrying the mags with bullets to the rear, so that when the mag is pulled out, my index finger is on the front of the mag, ready to guide it into the mag well. I chalked this up to miscommunication, and let it go, and used another carrier. When the second order came with the kydex mag "pouch" molded so that it only accepts the mag turned bullet-forward, I raised the issue with a friend who says that some LEO training favors what I consider to be "backwards" orientation of the mags, and so holster makers design accordingly. I can't think of any good reason why you should have to rotate the magazine after drawing it to insert it into the mag well --- doesn't make sense to me. Explanations, comments, rationales, etc.???