View Single Post

Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM

Liked 128 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5200 View Post
I just bought this M&P 9 new and it seems, to have some copper in the bore. I used Hoppe's and let it soak a few minutes and the patches came out with a bluish tint. The user manual says not, to use ammonia solvents which I have some Barne's CR10 I use on my rifles. will this be too harsh of a solvent to use? so far all I have used is a Patch Worm and patches haven't gotten a proper kit for it yet. Should I just use a brush and Hoppe's and scrub it real good maybe? I'm new to pistols so I'm kind of lost here. Thanks!
If the owner's manual indicates that you should not use any cleaners with ammonia I guess I would have to question the manufacturer as to why. What the hell did they make the barrel out of - plastic? Traditional barrel steel is either carbon or stainless. I have never hurt any of my match grades rifle barrels using Sweets. Over they years I have found that if a barrel is heavily copper fouled only ammonia based solution will take the copper out. Be advised, however, that strong solvents like Sweets can only be left in the barrel for a short period of time (follow the directions) or it can actually etch the bore. I definately would not use a stainless brush especially in a carbon steel barrel. You are probably best to patch the barrel with the solvant and if scrubing is necessary use a nylon brush. The solvant will eat a bronze brush. Good luck.