View Single Post

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts

To try to get the leading issue figured out I decided to work with only one of my Smith Wesson revolvers. I am working with a 627-5 that I have had for 8 months or so. The revolver iscompletely stock from the factory. The best I can measure the cylinder throats I get .358 a .357 JHP almost drops through the cylinders with out help. The cast bullets I am using will push through the cylinders with a little push.I have been using Unique powder because that is what I have to use in quantity. My last range trips where with 6.5 grains and 6.8 grains of Unique pushed with a WW mag primer. Both loads still put lead in the throat of the barrel. The leading was confined to the first inch or so of the barrel. I shot 24 rounds of each with the 6.5 grains appearing to be the most accurate of the two. I cleaned the barrel between the two different loads. Should I try increasing the load a little further to see if the leading goes away? I have not tried the Alox as I load on a Dillon 550 and there is just no easy way to clean the dies every 50 bullets.My question on the Alox is there any way to use it without having to clean the dies so often?