View Single Post

Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Liked 128 Times in 66 Posts

In response to the prior post of Mr. Minze - As a full time range officer with Federal agency, we bought S/Vel by the truck load. Both 110gr .38 special and 110gr .357 mag. Guns used were M15 with 4 inch bbl, and M19 with 2 1/2 inch bbl. We had no gun problems with excessive wear and/or malfunctions. These guns shot thousands of rounds per year. We could not continue with the .357 due to the short ejector rod on the 2 1/2 inch models. All agents were issued .38 JHP (110gr) which was potent enough. If Treasury had bought the 3 inch bbl, there would have been no problems with ejection issues on the M19. We also used this ammo in training with the M60, 2 inch. Did not hurt the M60, however I did see barrels that were almost worn smooth from extensive firing. Since we were training new recruits, it was a tough assignment to get them used to S/Vel type recoil in a short period of time. It was too much for most rookies, and the women had a real hard time with it. Experienced shooters could adapt in the time allocated. I would not recommend using it in any gun that is not steel frame or stainless - this is the minimum required. Overall ammo - I'd say A+ for S/Vel.