View Single Post

Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

I've still got some from "back in the day", meaning early 1970s. It was like gold back then. Being newly married, I was poor by definition. But with a rookie cop across the hall, we managed to scrape together enough money (read hide from wife) to buy a box of both 110gr offerings. The soft point and the hollow point in 357. We felt we were owning and carrying a nuclear arsenal. We felt rich.

When you folks elected the current crook, the ammo market went wild. My gun show partner came to the next show, then vanished. He was on a buying spree. He had no clue about Super-Vel, but a fair number of private tables and a few gun shops emptied their closets and were selling anything that even looked like ammo. When I saw what he was finding, I went out and bought a bunch, too.

I even found a couple of the "ammo wallets" they used to sell. They had no idea how hard those were to find, so they sold them cheap, like in the price range half empty boxes sold for. I was on a buying mission.

I feel ashamed that I was only finding and buying .38 or .357s. I now wish I'd have had the foresight to land a few boxes of .380, just as an investment.

We ended up shooting some of our ammo back in the later 1970s. As I recall, it was every bit as accurate as anything the other makers had. Point of impact was different from 158gr 357s, but you'd expect it to be. It was my first real experience with light fast bullets printing lower than heavy ones. Significantly lower.