Thread: +p and bullets
View Single Post

Old 03-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyda View Post
I'm new to reloading and have successfully done few hundred rounds of .38 special with Hodgdon hp-38 powder. Using Lee turret classic press. I bought Oregon Trail Laser-Cast Bullets 158 Gr. which are non-jacketed (thats all that was on the shelf). I wanted to do some +p loads and then .357 next. It seems all the reloading charts list jacketed loads with +p and .357. Is it ok to use non-jacketed? Are the grains the same for a given weight jacketed or non?
Shooting cast bullets successfully in any gun can be a challenge. They as not as forgiving as jacketed bullets. There are several variables that enter the game when shooting cast bullets.

1. The gun you use them in.
2. The cast bullets.
3. The load used in the cartridge.

All of these are a subject unto themselves for much discussion and there is a lot of information available on them. Laser Cast bullets are used by many and some have success with them and some don't. I have used them and still do in three different calibers I load for. They have some sources for loads listed on their web site under load data. Take some time to research these sources and you will find the data you are looking for.
Home
Here is another good source of information on casting and shooting cast bullets you may want to spend some time on.
Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,
There should be a lot of other people here that will add to this information as well.
Cary