View Single Post

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I've used Lee equipment for years, use their sizing kits exclusively on half a dozen calibers.
They do have a 45/70 sizing kit.
I had issues with excessive force deforming the nose on softer bullets when installing gas checks so I now run the bullets through the sizer first with very little lube, i.e. I thin the ALOx with mineral spirits and use a tiny bit on it, let dry or dry with a hairdryer, then run them throgh the sizer. Then, i install the gas check and run it through again, takes a lot less force to do so that way.
After the gas check is on I lube them again with Alox, a little bit thicker and let them dry.
On the big stuff, the 500 S&W, I actually apply ALOX to each individual bullet on the grooves and let it dry between each application. I can get a really thick, almost like a hard lube, with about 4 or 5 applications. Might be overkill and, yes, it's slow, but I don't load or shoot a whole lot of 500 S&W so it makes sense to make sure each one is really, really good.
I've tried sizing the tumble lube bullets by Lee Molds, they usually barely touch the sizing die and then drop in the container. Never had any issues with leading from them so I must be living right !

Dan R