View Single Post

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Liked 6,774 Times in 1,312 Posts

I'm doing some research on the .25 ACP for an article I am hoping to put together, and I am finding out some very interesting facts. I have always found it hard to believe that this cartridge can have such a negative history, but it has been in production for over 100 years. One of the reasons the .25 has gotten such a bad reputation, is some of the ****** guns made for it. The other is that the .25 was never meant to be a primary defense gun, it was always meant to be a back up or pocket gun. There have been a couple of cases that really showed that the .25, while certainly no dedicated manstopper, is also better than nothing. One was the killing of Prince Ali Kamel Fahmy Bey, an Egyptian who was shot three times with a Browning .25 by his wife, Madam Marie-Marguerite Fahmy. Fahmy dropped right where he stood. It seems the Prince was quite abusive towards his wife, and when he came for her, she was ready.
Another case was the celebrated Hooded Man Case where a British Police Inspector surprised a burglar and was struck with a single slug from a .25 ACP. The Inspector never stood a chance. So the .25 is certainly not on par with the .380 and certainly not even close to the 9mm, but it certainly has some intersting history behind it too, and its beginning to look as though it might not be the weakling on paper that it has been advertised to be. For a back up gun, for what it was intended to be, the .25 might not be all that bad.