View Single Post

Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 3,461 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine49guy View Post
Awesome!...Simply AWESOME!
I will have to open the book now and do some research.
Your backstrap looks like a Model 39-2, Is your gun a 14 shot double stack?
The "hole" hammer is from the original Model 39
Is your frame steel or aluminum and is it groove or check cut at the front & back or smooth?

Always wondered why S&W didnt offer wood grips for the 59 series or a barrel chambered for 30 Mauser.

Congrats on a rare and unusual find...Can you post more pics?
If you dont mind me asking...Where did you find it...?

NOT:..Just checked the SCSW 3rd edition, page 223 says "Unconfirmed report of at least one model 39 or 39-2 chambered for the .30 Luger cartridge...Nothing found about a 59 in 30 Luger.

You DEFINATELY should get it lettered!
NEED more Pics!
To answer your questions. I got this from a serious collector who has a knack for finding great guns. I knew of this gun for a while and was lucky to buy it, as the original potential first buyer's deal fell through. Yes this is a 14 shot double stack gun. The front strap is serrated, and it has a half smooth, half checkered special Model 59 backstrap, as the grip frame is wider than a Model 39. The guns frame is alloy. Early Model 59's also had holes in the hammers up until about serial number A180000, when the practice was stopped. I was also able to confirm that the S&W factory did indeed make wood grips on a special order basis for Model 59's, not a regular offered item. Having just got this, I have alot of research to do. Thank you for you comments, and interest.
The Following User Likes This Post: