View Single Post

Old 03-13-2010, 03:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 546 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic_problem View Post
I just picked up a 1000 rounds of 9mm mixed production over-runs to test out at the range this weekend, so I will let you know how it works out. Also I asked the lady at the ammo store if they had any problems or complaints out of the BVAC ammo and she said she hasn’t had any complaints at all from her customers.
I wish you better luck than I had.

BVAC (Bitterroot Valley Ammunition & Components) is a breakaway company from HSM (Hunting Shack Ammunition...I have no idea what the "M" stands for...Munitions?). Supposedly there developed 2 opposing factions within HSM, and one faction split away to form BVAC.

About 2 years ago several friends and myself participated in a local "group buy", and purchased 1.5-2K of 9mm, each, as well as 2-3K of .223. On several outings, I began to notice a serious drop in my accuracy while using several of my 9mms...even to include a 9mm carbine, which is usually a real tack driver. Since I was shooting at steel, I decided eventually to see what was going on, and shot at paper targets. My groups looked like I was using a shotgun. I got out some older 9mm I still had, and my groups returned to normal. Upon closer examination of the targets, some of the rounds were keyholing. While it always went "bang", it was easily the least accurate ammo I've ever fired.

On the other hand...the .223 ammo seems okay. I won't claim it's anything amazing...but seems to be decent practice ammo.

Still...I don't see me buying any BVAC ammo anytime in the foreseeable future. Not until I hear many reports that things have improved there. And even then...the ammo would have to be very cheap, and I'd still only buy a small amount, until I was able to test it for myself.

Tim
The Following 2 Users Like Post: