View Single Post

Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Liked 128 Times in 44 Posts

I agree and disagree with some of the statements made by our illustrious members in this thread. In any event here is my two cents:
I've carried concealed for the past 35 years during which time I was involved in ballistics study and experimentation. Unquestionably at longer ranges a higher velosity cartridge like the .357 has a distinct advantage over .38 or even the .45. As it relates to self protection, however, FBI statistics gathered from state and local law enforcement sources indicates that the average distance in a self defense shooting is 17'. With that said, a higher velosity round gives up its advantage simply because the speed does not allow the bullet to perform at the optimum level that it was designed for (expansion and transfer of kinetic energy). A 38 special or 38 special + P will undoubtably perform at it optimum level at a distance of 17'. Accordingly, either .38 may be a fine choice for self defense. Another distinct advantage, as previously mentioned by others in this thread, is the comfort level with carrying a smaller piece. Personally I have found that my 338PD Air Lite Ti is a joy to carry. However, if you want to emulate what the FBI hostage rescue and SWAT teams current use you will be choosing a 45ACP as they abandon the .357 and .38 years ago. Their current service gun comes from Springfield Armory (I know - boo!) and has a special serial number starting with CRG which stands for "close range group." I tend to lean toward a wheel gun as I want it to go bang when I pull the trigger and not worry about clearing a stove pipe. So at the end of the day the deciding factor may well be carry comfort and what caliber you are the most proficient with.

Last edited by firearmsunlimited; 03-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: