View Single Post

Old 03-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Liked 213 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsleatherworks View Post
Hello,

I'm on the fence about whether or not to stay with my Model 457 .45ACP as a carry gun...which even as a compact 3 1/2" 7 shot semi-auto, is still a serious hunk of steel to carry on a belt unless its hanging in the shoulder holster I made for it.
The 457 is not a hunk of steel but is an alloy framed semi-auto that weighs about the same or less than an 3" model 65. Fully loaded there might be a small weight advantage to the 65 because it shoots lighter weight bullets but it would be close.

I like revolvers for self-defense because I think that the snubbies can clear the holster and put lead on the target slightly faster than a semi, mostly because of the shape of the grip. I carry a Model 640 .38 special on most days and I think that covers me adequately for my level of risk. I do own a model 457 and I may carry that at times also but it has to fight for second place with my model 3913 which is slightly slimmer and lighter.

You really have to pick one and stick with it and practice with it until you have a good deal of confidence in the gun. Everyone of these weapons that have been mentioned are more than adequate to protect you if it comes to that.

Bill