View Single Post

Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

I have a couple of boxes around here somewhere. I bought 200 rds back in the late seventies, I think. Remington promoted it as a load to give 2" bbl revolvers the same muzzle energy as the then standard158 gr LRN gave from a 4" bbl. They advertised it some in the gun rags and also in some of their LE flyers.

The official story was that it would produce something like 250-255 fpe, which is about what a 158 gr would produce at 850fps.

Problem was, one, none of the service 158s produced anywhere near 850 fps from a 4" bbl, and everyone knew it. What we didn't know was how much lower the actual velocity was. We thought we were getting around 790 fps from the 4' tube. 690-700 was probably a more realistic high end number.

Problem two was that to produce energy levels in the 250 fpe range, the bullet would have to exit the muzzle at somewhere between 1050 and 1100 fps, and there was a general belief that this load would not produce that sort of velocity. Of course, no one had any way to actually measure velocity, so yet again all we could do is guess, or trust the factory numbers. At any rate, this item was in the Remington catalog for a relative short period of time. I want to say two or three years, but perhaps it was longer than that.

I'll dig up some of these and the next time I set up the machine, I'll see what they do out of my 642.