View Single Post

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,390 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajoe45 View Post
'It comes in at the top of most studies.'

Gentlemen, I respectfully take exception with these statements. The referenced article paraphrases Mas Ayoob's work, at best. Mr. Ayoob is careful to caveat the .357s prowess with the fact that it has been used in a statistically overwelming number of shootings and therefore garners the top spot principally by virtue of that fact. His stated preference is for the .45 ACP, also a proven manstopper (just not as widely utilized). Don't get me wrong, the .357 is certainly effective and proven to be so, but the .44 Magnum is not 'second place' to it in killing power (though it's rarely used in cop & robber shootings where most of the data comes from). You must keep in mind that cops carried and used .357s from the late 30s through the early 80s - it became as ubiquitous as the .40 is today.

For the OP, I would recommend you consider an alloy or polymer framed .45 ACP (a sig or smith, if you like DA autos; maybe a Kahr?). If the simplicity of a revolver is really the issue, look into Model 625s, 325s, or 22s in .45. If you have already made up your mind, get the Model 65. It can shoot both and .38 Spl has come a long way (still not a .45 ACP or .44 Spl). If a 696 is really what you want, don't wait to stumble onto one - go find one (Auction Arms.com or Gunbroker.com, etc.). signsrup is correct about the weight - if the 457 is too heavy, the Model 65 will probably be also. Consider the 396 NG - a lighter 5-shot .44 Special. You might be able to find a deal on a used one on Gunbroker (or here). On a budget? look at the Charter Arms Bulldog. JMHO
I have to agree, I fall on the side of larger bullets. People talk about 38/357 expanding, if they expand, and I think modern, high performance bullets will expand most of the time, they expand to the size that 44 / 45 bullets start out at. If the 44 / 45 expand….well.

I also think that low pressure 44SPL / 45acp rounds are much easier for follow up shots. I too try to practice double taps. If one is good two is better.
The Following User Likes This Post: