View Single Post

Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
Momentum means nothing in pistol bullets, neither does kinetic energy, various power factors, etc. Only hitting the bad guy in a vital structure means anything in real life.
There are many folks who would disagree with the statement that Energy and Momentum mean nothing.
Sure, shot placement is NUMBER ONE, but why ignore the PHYSICS of the situation?

Sure, compared to a .50cal Barrett, ALL PISTOLS rank about the same, so why not just carry a .25auto if Momentum and Energy mean nothing in pistol bullets?

My feelings are that I want AS MUCH cross sectional area (caliber) and mass (bullet weight) as I can get, and still have a gun that I WILL carry (so that it's actually ON HAND when needed).
Sure, I want a MINIMUM volocity of around 800fps+, but There's a reason I carry 158gr's in my .38 instead of 125gr's.

I would rather hit them with a SLOWER moving freight train, than a FASTER moving ice pick, for (what will ALWAYS be debated as) one shot "stopping power".
Momentum (and frontal area) DOES mean something...it DOES have differing effects on how much DAMAGE is actually DONE to that "vital structure".
That's why they designed EXPANDING bullets to begin with. Larger FRONTAL AREA = more "vital area" damage/shock.

Why not stack as many variables in your favor as possible...and still have a gun that's light enough that you WILL carry. (.50 Barrett's a little BIG for CCW, but you get the idea, and the same variables still apply). It's just a matter of degree. But, since we'll argue about the difference between 125 grains and 135 grains...why not just stack ALL the variables you can in your favor.

Last edited by arizonaguide; 03-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: