View Single Post

Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiab View Post
It is refreshing to see another cop of that day acknowledge that we knew the older standard loads were not producing their advertised velocities. Today many younger people look back at the old factory ammo listings and think the standard loads of yesteryear were hot, but those of us using it knew those claims were overstated.
Wish I could claim to have real LE experience, but I was just a dispatcher for a couple of the smaller local departments while I was going to school. And that was forty years ago. I've always been a gun nut and a lot of the officers I worked with were the same. Many of them were young men just back from Viet Nam and they took their firearms seriously. I learned a lot and maybe shared a little (I hope).

I try to be careful about what I post and rely on some sort of documentation when I can. If I'm making a WAG, I try to state that up front. But any opinion I express is just that of a retired airline manager, nothing more.

Back to the point here, you are absolutely correct about the information the major ammo makers published in the '60s and '70s. Much of it was wildly optimistic and none of it can be taken at face value. If the stuff worked as advertised, most of the cartridge development of the last 30 years would have been unneccessary. For example: when it was first introduced the Remington 38 SPL 125 gr SJHP was factory listed at over 1300 fps. If that were true, who would need magic bullets? I'd still be a happy camper using that load.

Regards,

Charles