Thread: +p and bullets
View Single Post

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts
Wink YEAH, RRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titegroups View Post
+p loads are usually high velocity loads, thats why the manuals only list jacketed bullets for +p loads. Do not use lead for high pressure-high velocity loads.

You know, I wonder where some folks get their information. Elmer's loads for the 44Spl clocked out over 1200fps and they were all lead, and lead that is much softer than what we use today!

Being a caster, and an avid shooter, I can unequivocally say, HUMBUG to your statement, Titegroups!

There are many factors that play a part in getting a lead bullet to shoot as well or better than a jacketed one but it is achievable.

I have several rifle rounds that propel LSWC bullets @ 1800fps or faster. Is that high velocity? Oh, not like a high powered rifle, but we are on a handgun forum. My 45Colt loads are hitting right at 1750fps from a 20" barrel while my 44Mag ones are upwards of 1900fps. Plain based or bevel, no gas checks and no leading.

I have a 38spl 160gr LSWC load that gives me 1100fps from a 3" barrel, with no leading. I have a 357Mag 160gr load that gives me 1300fps from a 6" barrel with no leading. My 44Mag and 45Colt loads give about that from a 5" and 5 1/2" barrels, again with no leading.

It takes time and a commitment to achieve these kinds of results, I will give you that. You can't just buy willy nilly off of the shelf and get them, now to that I agree. Most commercial casters aren't in it to make you shoot the best or fit your gun or ........ they are in it to sell bullets.

That being said, there are a few that do it right. One is a forum member NKJ_nut (Jessie) of Tennessee Valley Bullets. He will give you bullets to order as far as size and hardness(there are limits). His goal is to give you the best match between his products and your firearms. Something a home caster would do, make things work.

Are there limits on lead bullets? Sure. That's why they make gas checks.