View Single Post

Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,533 Times in 334 Posts
Default Purchased a Colt Lawman MkIII snubbie

I know I know this is the S&W forum, but sometimes I wander over to the other guys. What can I say I'm only human.

Went to one of my favorite pawnshops yesterday. The owner is known to pay fairly well for interesting pieces and I've always been impressed with his selection. In the past couple of years I've purchased a pre-war S&W Heavy Duty with a 5" barrel and a Webley Mk VI from him.

Today was no exception.I wasn't intending to bring anything home, but in the past that's when I've found some of my favorite pieces.

There was a beautiful Lawman Mk III 2" with the original service grips. Actually the grips have the serial number written on both panels so perhaps it's the original factory installed grips? Anyway I traded an Model 1914 Erfurt P08 Luger (mfd. 1916) for it. No regrets. The Luger was a nice piece, but I've had a jones for a mid-size .357 magnum snubbie for a few years now and they sure aren't easy to find. This Lawman Mk III was too good to pass up.

It's serial number is 38XXXL. I've triple checked that serial number and it's my understanding that the serial number dates it to 1979 so if that is correct it was made near the end of the 2" production life. It's in excellent shape. It's blued with a blue trigger and CH hammer.

I wish I had a couple pistols that I was willing to part with. Sitting next to the Mk III in the display case was a 2nd generation Colt Detective Special made in 1956. Also in excellent shape with the original grips. It was a tough call.

Well anyway for those of you who are still reading this post here a few photos. I'm still a Smith guy, but there are a few Colt models out there that I lust after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MkIIIF.jpg (130.4 KB, 1246 views)
File Type: jpg MkIIIE.jpg (118.5 KB, 1378 views)
The Following 7 Users Like Post: