Thread: WD40 cleaning
View Single Post

Old 03-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

In 1980 there was very little of the old formula WD40 left in consumer hands. This is 30 full years later. If anyone still has any of it, it would be a miracle. All the old stuff is gone, used, evaporated, and hardened into a solid mass of gum.

As for the lead away cloth, it does a fairly good job of taking the burn marks off the cylinder. It will remove blue finish very efficiently, too. So don't even have it on the workbench when a blue gun is nearby.

Its abrasive. Not a strong abrasive because that isn't needed with soft lead. The action, as I understand it, is both chemical and mechanical. Its a product with a narrow and specific use. Yes, I have some zip locked in a bag with my cleaning stuff. Gentle and occasional use on a cylinder of a nickel or stainless gun works well. Not just on the cylinder, but if you cut a strip, you can also work on the frame above the barrel and the barrel cylinder gap. If you have a spitting problem, it will remove the build up very well (but only on those finishes.)

But like all wonder products, this one has some serious drawbacks. First, we have the potential damage to blue guns. Then there is the toxic problems. Anything strong enough to chemically remove lead probably needs some extra steps to clean up afterwards. Just as when we cast bullets, handle fired cases, we need to wash up well after. I'm more leary of the lead away than I am of handling elemental lead. Lead is like mercury, its the salts that are dangerous. I don't say you shouldn't use it, but using it regularly will probably abrade and scratch the nickel finish. Washing up afterward is just good hygene.